Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

~~Magnetic Nostalgia~~Blog-Week-Athon post # 8

Well, this meme is going around like wildfire in my other blogspace & I just couldn’t sit back waiting for someone to tag me - The meme is to list 5 songs which are your favorite from the world of cassettes, preferably between 1995 to 2005 and some funny incidents or memories about them…
Believe me, restricting to just 5 songs is synonymous to asking a Mom of 10 to choose 5 favorite kids :P :P :P  Its just not possible, but well, I do understand the reason, as back then (no, not very very long ago), we could only to the maximum, record 5 – 6 songs on one side of the cassette & we had to strategize & choose carefully… I still remember I would write down my favorites in a piece of paper, check if the cousins/friends already had the songs, go to the cassette recording shop & just pray pray pray, that he has all the songs that I have listed down to be recorded! There used to be a lot of discussion/planning & eventually sharing of cassettes within cousins/friends for the songs that couldn’t be recorded for self.. Well, gone are those days isn’t it….
Without much ado – here goes my top 5 from the world of cassettes…To make my life easier, I have applied a few filters to able to choose from the thousands (okay, I haven’t counted, but I am sure I was humble when I mentioned just a thousand) of songs that I have loved & still love!
First filter - Median Timeframe – 2000, Second filter – Only Tamil songs , Third Filter - Great lyrics 
Nadhiye Nadhiye Kaadhal Nadhiye from Movie Rhythm – I cannot even start to describe or differentiate about what is best in this whole song.. everything from the dheem tanana dheem tanana, the jil jil jil yendra nadaiyile, that thanneer kudaththil pirakkirom oho, thanneer karaiyil mudikkirom oho, to that thenkaniyil saaraagi pookkalile thenaagi pasuvinile paalaagum neere, thaayaruge seyaagi thalaivanidam paayaagi seyaruge thaayaagum penne… just WOW’ed me…..Such a beautiful comparision of the element “water” to a “lady/girl”. This is one those songs, which made me stop singing mindlessly along with the song & take notice of the beautiful lyrics(well, I still sing along, but not mindlessly :P ).
Kaatre yen vasal vandhai from Movie Rhythm - Okay, I couldn’t resist my urge to include this one. Such a beautiful usage of the universal element “wind” in comparison to the universal feeling of “love”.. There is no memory, in specific, but I love the way the song proceeds in its own slow pace. If I have to pick a favorite line from this song, it would be this – “anbe naan uranga vendum azhagaana idangal vendum, kangalil idam kodupaayaa”
Thaniye thannandhaniye from Movie Rhythm - Well, I believe, you might have guessed this as the next one in line… All songs in this movie are in comparision to one of the five elements (water, wind, sky, earth & fire) & this is supposed to be in comparision with the “Earth”. I was not able to relate the song to “Earth” for a very very long time (however, it still was my favorite), but once I did, I was in absolute admiration for the song.. Another important memory I have of this song is that of my disappointment in the way the song was picturised.. Well, no one to blame here – I had listened to the songs much before I had gotten a chance to watching the movie (or the songs on TV)… I had my own imaginations for each song & while every other song in the movie, surpassed my imagination, the “Thaniye” song failed! I still remember, I felt a sense of betrayal & wished that it could have been presented in a much better way visually :P (yes, that much my favorite)
Pachhai Nirame Pacchai Nirame from Alaipayuthey - I still remember the moment when the cassette played in that silent afternoon in my home when everyone was asleep – the starting note of the song just engulfed the silence making me want to just float with it! The reference to each colour representing many things but finally coming to the point on how it relates to a particular emotion or a trait of the lover, is just simply splendid!! I still remember, when Sathiya (the hindi version) was released, I refused to watch Sathiya as I hadn’t yet watched Alaipayuthey. I watched Alaipayuthey first & then watched Sathiya – just because I loved the tamil version of the songs more :) :P
Enna Solla Pogirai from Kandukondaen, Kandukondaen – Well, the helplessness, the never ending ache of a lover seeking for a reply to his proclaimed love is captured just beautifully!
Well, there you go, am done – now for comments time, nee enna solla pogirai?
P.S:- If this is side A of the cassette, then side B would be Kaadhal sadugudu (Alaipayuthey), Evano oruvan (Alaipayuthey), Yenge enadhu kavithai (Kandukondaen, Kandukondaen), Konjum mainakkale (Kandukondaen, Kandukondaen)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts about my thoughts???Do let me know :)